E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Thursday, July 11, 2019

Partners

In the 3 years I've owned my horse I've hit the ground a total of 4 times.  Of the 4, three have been totally my fault and the other at least half my fault. 

The first time was when reaching the top of a hill, she stopped and stepped to the right.  I was leaning forward all the way to the ground.

Numbers 2 and 3, she was going faster than I wanted.  I applied too much force on the reins that caused a small buck.  I went sideways to the ground.

This last time she was spooked and once again I pulled too hard on the reins.  She tried to launch me into orbit.

The common factor is me.  Most of the time I use very little rein force, but once in a while I instinctively pull too hard hurting her mouth.  I need to become a better rider for both of us.

Improvement takes riding time.  Time that is presently in short supply.  So as a crutch I'm going to quit using the short shanked curb bit.  I've ordered a bit that has a similar mouth piece, but no force amplifying leverage.  I've also ordered 2 types of side pull halters.  The halters don't have a bit at all.

Maybe becoming a better horseman along with the new gear will have us becoming partners on the trail.

No comments: