E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Starting Bitless

Dropped off feed and bedding at the horse barn this morning. I took a few minutes to try different head gear on my mare while she was in the stall.

Light weight side pull rope halter:  She practically put her head in it on her own.  It fit more snug than the usual rope halter, which I think is good for a side pull.  Slight force with a single finger on the side ring and she turned her head.  Looks promising.

Heavy weight side pull rope halter:  This one is a bit hard to use.  Everything is double roped and is stiff.  It has a braided nose band and brow band.  It also requires tying a cheek strap and a throat latch.  I got it loosely put on her, but not as it should be.  Again a light pull caused her to turn her head.

Low leverage bit: I rigged a spare bridle with the new bit I ordered.  It can be used as a solid bar snaffle or as extremely low leverage curb bit.  She didn't like it very much.  It has a larger diameter bar than the one she's gotten used to.  It'll probably be OK once she wears it some.

No comments: