E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Loading The 454 Casull

Since I'm waiting on materials to finish the deck and I've needed a break from the physical labor, I now have 100 rounds of brass all prepared for loading 454 cartridges.  Well I did. Tonight I stuffed AA#9 and 240 grain XTP/Mag bullets in 50 of them.  I dropped the charge by 1-1/2 grains, expecting the muzzle velocity to be reduced from close to 1800 to somewhere about 1700, or maybe 1750 f/s.  According to my Hornady manual, running at 1800 is a near Max pressure load, and rough on the hand as well.  25 rounds out of the big Ruger at that velocity causes my hand to swell.  It's like getting hit with a small hammer every time I press the trigger.

My 300 grain bullet load is more like a heavy push in the revolver.  Been using H110 to push it close to 1600 f/s from the revolver and close to 3200 from the rifle.  Since higher pressure and longer burn time can both increase velocity, I sent an e-mail to Hornady asking if that much velocity increase means it's pushing the pressure limit in the lever action.  I think I'll wait a little for a response before trying the 300 grain load in the rifle again.

The next time out I'll try the new 240 grain load in the revolver and lever action across the chronograph.

No comments: