E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Vacation Carry

My son, his wife and 2 dogs were about half way through a 1-1/2 mile hike last week when the daughter-in-law said "are you packing?"  She was behind me at the time so I just pulled up part of my soggy T-shirt to expose holster and Kahr PM9.  I don't know if she's amazed or just curious about me carrying most of the time.  Since we were on vacation, I carried the whole time I was awake.  Unless heading for work, I put on a gun before the wallet goes in my pocket.  When it's on me, it stays until bed time.

A couple of days ago the 4 of us were at the still-not-sold big house.  The Boss took the truck to go get some tools.  Before leaving I told her to not get into an accident because my old 45 is under the seat.  The daughter-in-law didn't understand that the Boss would be jailed on a felony charge if caught with my gun under the seat.  "But it's not her gun."  "So!  That's the law.  She'd be carrying concealed without a license." 

Since I can't carry at work or risk losing my job, I keep a Llama 1911 under the seat of the pick-up I drive to and from work.  That pistol cost all of $240 new, so not much monetary value lost if it gets stolen.  It's not pretty and the accuracy is not the best, but good enough, and reliable as all hell.

So why was I carrying a Kahr 9mm on vacation when I prefer a 1911?  Seven rounds of 9mm weighs less that 7 rounds of 45, and my sweat has less effect on a plastic frame than it does on an aluminum frame.  If it wasn't for the damn heat, I'd carry my Kimber.  I had it with me, but it stayed in the cabin.

No comments: