E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Saturday, November 6, 2010

What The Hell

Before going to the range Wednesday I had the friend handle most of my handguns to narrow the field a little for what he wanted to try. During what I consider normal handling the thumb safety of my full sized Kimber broke. What the hell? It was cast stainless with a little bit of porosity. Today I took it to a part time smith that I trust. He told me that the thumb safety, slide lock and extractor are all cast material on Kimbers. I decided to have him replace all 3 with Ed Brown parts. When I get it back I may have him do the same on my UltraCarry, which hasn't had nearly as many rounds put through it. The likelihood of a similar failure on my main carry gun is troubling.

While there I picked up a cheap IWB holster that I can probably convert to cross draw carry with minimal effort. I'm not fond of that method, having short arms and wide body, but sometimes compromises are in order. My repaired hip is way too sore for my preferred strong side carry.

No comments: