E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Sunday, November 7, 2010

De-Stress Yourself

Some time ago a friend asked me to try an experiment while sitting in my tree stand deer hunting. He said to try and think about something related to my work. I tried and found that I could only keep my mind on work for seconds at a time. I think that's the biggest reason that I enjoy bow hunting for deer, and in years past squirrel hunting. There's something about being in the woods, trying to become part of nature, that clears the mind of all the worries and troubles of life It's refreshing and revitalizing.

It's not quite the same nor as effective, but I get a similar effect when at the shooting range. Concentrating on safe gun handling and the challenge of improving my marksmanship clears the mind. My outlook is always improved afterward.

This comes to mind due to an article in a men's health magazine the Boss got free when ordering something on-line. It's reported that meditation helps clear the brains RAM (random access memory in computer terms), allowing quicker and more effective analysis. I suppose this is similar to the effect I get from shooting or spending time in the woods.

I think everyone needs an escape from the stress of daily life. If you don't have a method of de-stressing yourself, I suggest you find something that works for you. You'll be a better and happier person because of it.

No comments: