E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Got The Car Home

So I put some fix-flat stuff in the tire and reinflated it, then installed a new battery. I don't recall ever putting a new battery in that 10 year old car, though I must've at some time. The grandaughter was with us so we took her to the nearby flea market. It was only 5 minutes away and besides she complained of never having been there before.

I saw some cool knives that I managed to walk away from, and one t-shirt.

After about 3 hours of brousing we headed home with me in the car, followed by the Boss in my truck. As the Sailor commented in the post below, there's no guarantee that the alternator isn't a problem. I hope the Boss can take it to a local shop tomorrow to have it checked out.

I've had batteries suddenly kick the bucket in the past. Car batteries used to die slowly, giving some warning that they're getting weak. Seems like the new ones of the last decade or so will just suddenly go belly up without warning. When this happens some will idle after a jump but won't maintain the engine running under power. Other times this has been the sign of a bad alternator.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I hope that's all it was, based on your description, I was sure the alternator was gone.

Here's hoping for the best.

Ruth said...

Having spent far to much time taking emergency road service calls from people, I 2nd the motion to get the alternator checked, its unlikely that a battery would just die like that after having been running for even a short while & to then have it refuse to keep running after a jump really sounds like the alternator (I've been wrong before, batteries do occasionally just up & die, but its less likely).

Ruth said...

Just to add, donno whats availible by you, but many places (Pep boys, Auto Zone, etc) may not be (or may be, depends) the greatest of repair places, but they will usually test both battery & alternator for free, which is handy if your regular repair shop charges just to look a the car.