E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Bulldog Action

As I wrote some time ago, I bought a Charter Arms .44 special with a 4" barrel just for fun. I didn't intend it for carry because I prefer a subcompact .45 or 9mm for that purpose. The Bulldog 44 is a light weight, 5 shot revolver with narrow grip based on their snubbie design. It's also inexpensive.

I've put about 250 rounds through it and settled on a 240gr lead load clocking at about 750f/s. Any more recoil than that in the small, light weight, narrow gripped revolver is just painful. And I'm not a recoil wusssy. I enjoy shooting my .454 Casull.

Being inexpensive, and trying the action before I bought it, I didn't expect a great feeling trigger. I was not surprised. The trigger was gritty, stacked and had creep. But not now. The part time gun smith at a local shop smoothed it out, eliminated the creep and lightened the pull. He wound the springs himself using music wire. It still has some stacking, but I'm pleased as punch. All that for only $64 after tax.

I'll let you know how it handles when I get the chance to go to the range.

No comments: