E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Monday, August 4, 2008

Dictatorships Aren't That Intrusive

Back when I first started driving, seat belts weren't common, nor was there a law requiring their use. I wear a seat belt whenever traveling in a car. I actually had them installed in my first car. Requiring anyone to wear them, by law, is anti-liberty. Wearing a seat belt, or not, does not restrict anyone elses rights, so the law is not appropriate.

The same applies to things like helmet laws for motorcyclists. I always wore one, but I'm totally against any law requiring their use. It's just not appropriate.

Now I have some sympathy for laws restricting the use of cell phones while driving because thay may contribute to an accident hurting someone else. As I said, some sympathy, but those laws are also not appropriate because no one else is hurt until the accident happens.

This proposed law is simply stupid. No, make that intrusive. If such a law was passed where I live I'd simply ignore it. The next thing you know it'll be illegal to have a cup of coffee in your hand while walking down the street. I'd bet dictatorships aren't that intrusive into the individuals life.

No comments: