E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Saturday, July 20, 2024

Handgun at the Range

So yesterday I made it to the range for a couple of hours. Been shooting mostly handguns lately in an effort to regain marksmanship skills that have eroded the last few years. Fired a few rounds through my 2 hunting revolvers, 50 rounds of 357Mag, and about half that many 454Casull. I was after targets at 50 and 75 yards with some success, but not nearly to my satisfaction.

When shooting my 1911 or Hi-Power, I frequently practice strong hand and weak hand only. As one might expect I'm not as good using just one hand. Yesterday I didn't bring either full sized pistol, so as a whim I pulled my carry gun, a Kimber Ultra Carry in 45acp. I fired several magazines strong hand only at 25 yards. Marksmanship was typical, but I had 3 stoppages probably due to limp wrist. Need to work on that, and try the same with my other carry gun, a Sig 938.

 - - 

Even if you've been living under a rock, you know a guy missed his target at about 150 yards. Yes there was luck, or maybe a guarding angel, but the shooter wasn't very good. His head didn't seem to move enough for me to miss at twice that range, and I'm not that good.

I have cleanly taken deer with a single shot with a 357 revolver at 120 yards. Granted, I was going for center of chest, not a head.


No comments: