E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Saturday, July 14, 2018

Why the 1911

I've been asked many times why I carry the 1911, 45ACP.  The one I carry is the little Kimber UltraCarry with a 3 inch barrel. 

First of all, being short, the shorter barrel keeps it from digging into my ribs while sitting and I can draw without going into contortions.  But other weapons are available that meet that criteria.

The real reason is that I have smaller than average hands, and I can modify the 1911 such that I can get a good grip one handed.  For that reason I own four 1911s in 45ACP.  Two have 5 inch barrels, one 3.5" and one 3".  If ever needed the 45 will create a bigger hole, and I shoot them well.

The down side is that they are prone to collecting lint when carrying.  Until tonight I have been negligent in keeping my carry gun clean.  And boy it was dirty as hell.  Though it appeared to be functional.

The striker fired weapons don't have near the dirt collection issue.  I own one of those.  The little Kahr PM9.  At the time of purchase it was the only one of that kind that I could hold correctly and reach the trigger.  It's also slightly smaller than my smallest 1911, so I sometimes carry it when a bit more concealability is warranted.


No comments: