E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Compromise

Every now and then I'm reminded by circumstances that everything in this world is a compromise.  In the post below I'm expressing how much I like my mare.  She does have a down side . . . she's a she, and with all mammal she's, she goes batty on a regular basis.  With horses that is about every 3 weeks, for about a week.  So she's an excellent trail horse 2 of 3 weeks.  Compared to other mares she's not all that bad.  If she can be pried away from the boys, she'll be jittery, not very responsive to the rider and sometimes extremely stubborn.

Early in the spring I started giving her hormone injections every 3 weeks that are intended to stop her cycles.  About 1-1/2 weeks ago she had her first cycle of the year, so we didn't go riding.  Apparently that will happen occasionally.  If I was retired, I'd probably not give her the medication, and just track her cycles.

As I said, everything is a compromise.  In this case I believe the good outweighs the bad.

No comments: