E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Ground Bouncing

Hit the dirt . . . . again.  My horse, Toby, is a relatively high spirited Tennessee Walker.  Got him this last spring.  He's 17, but very new to trail riding.  The Bosses horse, Rowan the Kentucky Mountain horse, is trail experienced but I suspect in groups.  So long as Rowan behaves, Toby is a little nervous, but OK.  When Rowan acts up, like a small temper tantrum when he doesn't get his way, Toby loses control.  That's what happened Sunday. Toby took off at a fast trot or pace over uneven ground.  Being a rookie rider, I lost my balance and hit the ground.  Toby left the area at a canter, briefly visiting Rowan first, and I walked back to the barn. Either I need to learn to be a better rider, or I need a calmer horse.  If not, I'm destined to have more than bruises.

The stable owner has an old Australian saddle the fits Toby better than the one I've been using.  No stirrups and no Australian girth, but I'll rig up something.  I want to give it a try.  If Toby is more comfortable, maybe he'll be more relaxed.

No comments: