E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Sunday, June 7, 2015

Ride Walk Ride Repeat

We were on horses today for a couple of hours.  Actually the Boss was.  I was there but not always on my horse.

We rode down the country road and the Boss had problems.  Her horse got his tongue over the bit and became almost uncontrollable.  I got off my horse and fixed her problem, but now I had a problem of my own.  My short stubby legs and old stiff body wouldn't let me get back on my horse.  So we walked farther down the road where a horse owning lady we know lives.  I used a chunk of fire wood as a step to remount.

Later on the trail I had another problem.  We ended up on a narrow trail with brush at horse head height.  Being on the taller horse I had to shift my body around to avoid the brush.  All that movement loosened the saddle.  Then the horse decided to walk a different path than I wanted and I had to lean way to one side to keep from being impaled by a broken limb.  Yep, I hit the ground as the saddle rolled to one side.  Now I was walking again. 

While on foot I fixed the Boss's horse bit again because the horse's tongue was back on top.

I found a small dirt pile to use as a step but try as I would, the horse refused to stand still next to it.  I yelled at him and smacked him a few times and he stood still for a short time but not near my improvised step.  I managed to barely stretch my leg enough to just get my foot in the stirrup and managed to haul myself up in the saddle. I couldn't have done that if I hadn't spent time in the saddle  stretching my groin.  Yeah, as I write this I'm a little sore.

Fortunately the return trip was without incident and was rather pleasant.
  

No comments: