E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Sunday, December 14, 2014

More Fun With The Lever Gun

My first experience with the Rossi M92, 454 was not really very good. A pin going through the bolt worked loose jamming the action.  I was shooting 300 grain Hornady XTP Mag in front of 31 grains of H110.  My Super Redhawk spits those out at a little less than 1600 F/S.  The M92 launched them at around 2200 F/S.

After re-installing the pin I loaded some 240 grain XTP Mags.  When I finally managed to get some.  I usually load them with 33 grains of AA#9 for 1800 F/S from the Ruger revolver.  Being concerned that the M92 might be over pressured, I loaded them with 31 grains of AA#9 this time.  Velocity from the Ruger averaged 1656 F/S, a reduction of 150 F/S.  The M92 launched them at an average 2142 F/S.

I ran about 40 rounds through the M92 without any signs of pressure issues, and the action remains very smooth.  Next time I'll go back to the original 240 grain load.

I'd like to tell you about accuracy, but I can't tell much with my old eyes and old fashioned irons.  If I can get my eldest son to the range, he'd get us a better idea of how accurate it is.

It'd be a shame to ruin the trim lines of that rifle, but I need one of those small red dot sights mounted in place of the rear sight.  Since I put a 2X scope on my side lock muzzle loader, I guess I can put a red dot on a lever action.

No comments: