E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Job Situation

Three years ago last May my employer of 15 years decided to give me the boot. When I asked for a reason all I got was "I refuse to answer that question." According to the state I was terminated without cause, so I did get unemployment for 10 months until I found another position. I have a theory as to why I was let go, but I didn't like sharing with potential employers because it would sound like I was not truthful, or that I had bad feeling towards my previous employer, which I didn't.

Early this week I learned a little about that situation that I didn't know before. I worked a couple of months with my present employer on contract before they made an offer to hire me. As part of checking out my background an e-mail was sent to my previous supervisor, who replied with nothing but negative comments. The HR guy found that surprising because they hadn't seen any of that from me as a contractor. The HR guy then called my previous boss (VP Engineering) with questions, but ended up talking to their HR guy instead. Their HR guy explained that my previous boss has been a problem and that he tried to stop him from dismissing me but couldn't do anything about it. My 2 previous bosses there always gave me very good reviews, but the last guy apparently had it in for me.

The little company where I now work, and was promoted to Engineering Supervisor, is being absorbed into a larger company and most of us will be unemployed come January 1. The HR guy has volunteered to be a reference, and to share the situation of my leaving that other company if asked. Guess I'm not all that bad of an employee after all.

The unemployment rate where I live is in the neighborhood of 13%. This used to be a big automotive manufacturing area. So a few days ago I was extremely surprised to find 75 web-pages of posted engineering jobs. All were dated within 3 weeks. So the factory jobs are dead, but there's still need of engineering, especially EE, IT and programmers in the area. Unfortunately I'm a Mechanical Engineer.

I have strong family ties in the area, and do not want to relocate. Last time, in a better economy, I was out of work for 10 months. In the past month I've applied for 5 jobs and managed 1 interview 2 weeks ago. This time I'm expecting it to take even longer, but I'll probably hang around for 12 months or so before considering a relocation. I'd just try to find a hobby job, but I need another 10 years of employment to keep medical coverage for the Boss.

No comments: