E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

New Owner To-Be

One of my coworkers, a youngish engineer that reports to me, has been considering buying a handgun and getting training for our concealed carry license. Last night, at his request, I went along with him to visit 3 local gun shops.

He handled many handguns for fit and feel, and listened to the various opinions. We all have our opinions, likes and dislikes, and they're all different. Other than the occasional suggestion "why don't you handle one of those" I was able to keep my comments to myself. I kept my lips sealed until after he'd been exposed to the other guys. I did my best to mention the pros and cons to the various weapons and chamberings without interjecting my personal biases. Believe me, that was a challenge.

He hasn't made his choice, as yet. I advised him to narrow it down to a couple, then see if he can rent one to try at the range. One of the 3 shops has a range and they rent guns, and then there's another one about 30 minutes away that does also. We haven't been to that one yet.

He's not new to firearms and handled them obeying the rules in the shop, but he's never owned a gun of his own.

Helping people with their self-defense choice, and introducing new shooters is a blast. I love doing it, especially if the newbie is a youngster. Sure wish there was another 7 year old to teach.

No comments: