E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Big 44 Continued & .357 Sig

I picked up the .44 Super Blackhawk tonight.
This is what the barrel looked like before I sent it off to Ruger.



This is how it was returned.


Big difference huh?

They replaced the barrel, cylinder, hammer, trigger, ejector rod, ejector rod housing, rear sight, trigger return spring, and cylinder latch. Of those the barrel and ejector rod & housing were the only things visibly damaged. The trigger return spring was apparently not original. Then they reblued everything. Basically I have a brand new revolver for the price of shipping the broken one to the Ruger service department. Damn hard to beat the price or the Ruger customer service.

Makes me wonder how they can afford to do that. Their new firearms are competitively priced. They offer free service on their products. And last summer when stocks dipped they had the cash on hand to purchase a bunch of their out standing stock.

----------------------

While at the gun shop I partook in the gunnie habit of window shopping. While talking to the owners son I mentioned that at one time I wanted to buy a pistol chambered in the .357 Sig. I never bought one because I couldn't find one in a frame that fit my small hands, so I bought 1911 guns instead. All of which have slim grips and short triggers. He immediately walked away and came back with a used full sized STI that was originally chambered in .40 S&W, but was modified for the .357 Sig. It took all my willpower to put it down. It's too close after Christmas to plunk down $600 for another gun, that I want, but don't need.

He told me that the recoil was less than a .357 Mag revolver, and was somewhere between a 9mm and a 40 S&W.

I'll have to stay away from the used gun area for a while because it'll probably be there. That's not a combination that most will be looking for.

2 comments:

Eric said...

I purchased a used Ruger Acusport Bisley in .45LC a few years ago. Last year, I took it out of the safe and noticed that the trigger would move with the hammer down. I called Ruger service in NH and they told me to ship it to them. Six weeks later, I called to check on it. The wonderful lady who answered told me it was unrepairable and would be scrapped - what would I like to replace it with?

I now have a brand new, "custom" Ruger Bisley in .44 Magnum!

You can't beat service like that!

Haji said...

The "how" is relatively simple: they build a metric buttload of guns every year, which get sold. Very, very few of those develop problems. Make stuff that doesn't need a warranty, and having a lifetime warranty on it won't be much of an expense. Ruger is fairly far down my list of go-to guns, but they've always made them hell-for-stout.