E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Plated Bullets Anyone??

For years I've been loading Hornady hollow point bullets for the 45acp and 9mm. It's been my policy to practice with what I use for the real thing. I never use less expensive or reduced loads at the range. Even though they're not the most expensive bullets out there, I'm considering going less expensive for the range.

I just acquired a quantity if plated bullets for the 45acp and the 9mm. Does anybody out there load plated bullets? Anything to keep an eye out for? My reloading manuals do not include plated bullets, so I'm not sure where to start, other than with low velocity powder charges.

1 comment:

Haji said...

When I was competing and reloading, I preferred plated bullets. Treat 'em like jacketed bullets, since that's pretty much what they are. They're more or less a thin jacketed bullet, even though plated bullets and jacketed bullets aren't made the same way. I found that the weight was the same, and with a similar charge weight, they'd shoot very close to the same point of aim. I only shot hollow points when I was shooting defensive ammo, and that's ALWAYS factory loaded. I wouldn't dream of using a hand-loaded defensive load. Its too much of a liability in court.