E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Defensive Handgun Cartridges

So how do all the handgun cartridges rate from a mathematical standpoint for defensive use? I picked what I consider to be the most common for defense, with the most common bullet weights and velocities, then averaged them for each cartridge. I included the 32acp because I sometimes carry one concealed, despite all the negative 'expert' advice.

The most common handgun cartridges rate something like this.

Cartridge-Energy-Power Factor-Taylor Index-OGW-M Factor
45acp..........354 ...........180 ............12 .............43 ..............40
357mag .....535 ............178 ............9 ...............64 ...............50
40S&W ......408 ...........175 ...........10 .............48 ...............44
9mm ..........375 ...........137 .............7 ...............35 ...............39
38spcl ........306 ..........135 .............7 ...............28 ...............38
380 ...........165 .............86 .............4 ...............10 .................4
32acp ........114 ............60 ..............3 ................5 .................19

The above calculated values with the exception of Momentum Factor all have, and are used to compare the effectiveness of bullets/cartridges to kill animals. The Taylor Index and OGW (Optimum Game Weight) were developed for hunting (rifle) cartridges.

Momentum Factor is something I constructed to fill a perceived void, the ability to penetrate. I calculated the momentum of the bullet and divided by the bullet diamter.

When looking at the numbers, Power Factor seems to more closely match cartridge effectiveness as per the rumor-mill.

If I average all the different mathematical methods, the ranking looks like this.

357mag ...167
40S&W ....137
45acp ......126
9mm .......118
38spcl .....103
380 ..........58
32acp ......40

I'll let you draw your own conclusions, other than to say that the 45acp and 357mag being at the top of the list matches common knowledge, and I always suspected that the 9mm and 38spcl were about the same performance wise.

So if you're choosing your first handgun for self-defense, try to pick a gun that's chambered for one of those near the top of the list that you can learn to shoot comfortably. Most of us have a favorite. Ignore it. It's all a compromise.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

While some snub their noses at charts - I have been know to do it from time to time - your chart with all of the data from multiple statistics is very telling. It's informative to see them compared, and I agree with the results for the most part. I think .357 should be at the top of the stack if it would be fired out of a 6" barrel, but that doesn't happen with the typical concealable handgun, so the .45 ACP should get the nod.

For what it's worth, I think the .32 ACP is a dandy self defense cartridge if that's what you carry day to day. It sure beats whatever is larger that is left in the truck. I don't doubt that when the bullets are flying, even the guy with the .454 Casull probably wished for a bigger gun, but a fatal hit is a fatal hit no matter how big the round is.

trajectory said...

I carry a .32 on occasion because it's small, easy to conceal and sweat resistant. That's what I carried tonight while the Boss and I were walking the dog. A few years ago I even carried it under my tux at my son's wedding. Other times it's a 380, but my preference is my 3" .45.

I know an elderly man that bought a nice S&W snubbie in 357. Nothing wrong with that except 357 loads out of a 2" barrel has to be brutal on the shooter with little to gain over a 38spcl other than a large fireball.

I haven't hear much street talk about the 40S&W. On paper it looks pretty decent.

I own a 454 and that's one hell of a fun gun to shoot. You could take 4 or 5 goblins with one shot if they'd line up for you, but other than that, not much good as a self-defense cartridge. Hell of a hunting gun though.

Haji said...

An SOF friend of mine was once quoted as saying, "If you shoot me with a .32 ACP and I find out about it, I'm gonna kick your a$$." Better than leaving it at home, but when a Glock 23 is the same size as a Glock 19, its an easy choice as to which I'd rather bring. 'Course, I'm 6'6", so I can conceal a LAW rocket with a baggy enough shirt.