E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Monday, June 9, 2008

Open Carry

I believe most states do not have laws against openly carrying a loaded gun. I know it's legal here in Ohio. Years ago, because of a couple instances I started carrying a gun, in the open, while fishing a local stream. Others that I saw fishing the stream paid it no attention despite being a 6" .357 Mag hanging on my belt. The only exception was a young boy who loudly popinted it out to his father. His dad said not to worry, he's not going to hurt anybody.

In theory I think anyone should be able to legally carry a loaded gun where and whenever they want. It's a right guaranteed by the constitution. That's my unrealistic view. The fact is that way too many people are sheep that would panic when they saw, gasp, a citizen carrying a gun. This is being put to the test in Colorado.

In most communities I think concealed carry is the only realistic option without sheep panic. That option should be legal for all without unconstitutional licensing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's something that we went through here in Virginia (and still are to some degree) and is currently going on in PA.

The bottom line is that the sheep overreact because they aren't used to seeing it and they don't know the law.

What it takes is for brave souls to just start doing it. In every locality it occurs, it takes some growing pains. Probably a few unfortunate incidents will result. But after a couple of high profile incidents, people become aware of the laws, more people begin to exercise their rights and the sheep begin to accept it, even if they don't like it.

I'm not recommending or advocating anyone take any action. That's a personal decision that everyone must make on their own. All I'm saying is that a right that you're afraid to exercise is not a right at all and the only way to acclimate the sheep to the sheepdogs is through exposure.