E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Sunday, June 1, 2008

One Fine Day

I had a great day today. What could be better than 4 hours at the range with the older son and my adopted grandson punching holes in paper and making steel plates ring and spin. The grandson went through 500 rounds of ammo using my .22 rifle, .22 Buckmark pistol and SKS. My wallet appreciates that only 200 were the 7.62x39 variety. I didn’t shoot near so many rounds, but mostly worked with the grandson.

I didn’t even fire one round through the SKS, but I did manage to throw a couple hundred .22 down range. I also shot about 60 rounds through my new baby, the custom assembled AR15 pictured in a post below. Three different brands of ammo only produced groups in the 4” range using the HoloSight. Despite what I consider mediocre accuracy it was extremely shootable. What I mean is I was consistently hitting 4” clay birds off hand with boring regularity. I was also able to ring 10” steel plates on occasion at 200 yards, again off hand, with misses always very close.

I’ll probably mount a scope on it at some time to increase my personal accuracy and determine what ammo it likes best, but I’ll put the HoloSight back on it later. That red dot is a superb fast acquisition battle sight and besides, it’s just cool.

When I get more rounds through it, to break it in, and find the ammo it likes, the accuracy should improve. Even if it doesn’t, it’s still a keeper.

Another reason it was a good day was the much needed gunsmoke fix. I seem to be addicted to gunfire.

No comments: