E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Monday, April 7, 2008

Permit - - - NOT !

I started carrying (legally) a gun almost 5 years ago. I applied for and received my non-resident Florida license because I routinely kept a loaded revolver under the seat of the car when traveling. Every time we, the family, crossed a state line I broke another law. A year later, when the law was changed I applied for and was issued an Ohio license. One license expires in May and the other in June of this year.

To renew the Florida license I fill out and sign a notarized form, get my picture and fingerprints retaken, then send a check. Then for the Ohio license I’m required to be re-certified. That means, in my case, taking a concealed carry training class with my youngest and his wife. I take a copy of the certificate to a sheriffs department where they do finger prints and pictures to go along with a check to the state.

I tell you all this because we took the concealed carry training a week ago yesterday. There was wasted time because of a very large class, and helping some complete their Florida application. That was a little irritating but it really didn’t bother me all that much. What bothered me more than anything was the constant use of the word “permit”.

The word “permit” implies that I need government permission to carry a gun for defensive purposes. The fact is, I don’t need anybody’s permission. It’s a right guaranteed in the state and federal constitution. In fact a logical argument supports the idea that requiring a license for carry is an illegal law. So saying “permit” is wrong and just grates on me. “License” is a much better word that isn’t nearly so offensive.

No comments: