E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Saturday, February 6, 2021

Bore Sight

 Many years ago I bought a CETME for $300. Shortly after my boys gave me a claw scope mount, aging eyes and all. The issue with the claw mount is that with recoil it slides forward and eventually needs to be repositioned. Apparently that was the only type of mount available at the time, designed for the HK variant.

Several months ago I ran across a scope base designed specifically for the CETME. Not only does it sit lower, there is a feature that loops behind the rear sight that keeps it from sliding due to recoil. This should be much better. Now I need to range zero the scope.

Way back in the 70s I bought my first center fire rifle for a Michigan deer hunt. I had a 20ga pump that fit me like a glove and I used it for small game hunting. I happened to find a 30-30 pump action rifle that fit me just like the shotgun. It was like both were made just for me.

I haven't shot that rifle in decades so decided to give it to my left handed son. At the range checking function and zero it failed to fire after about 5 rounds. I was unable to drive a pin out to check the interior, so I took it to a shop for repair. Now that it's back I need to remount the scope and zero it. Later we can check it for fit to my son.

I recently purchased a laser bore sight. In the past I never bothered with a tool like this because ammo was less expensive and I had more range time available. There's basically 2 types. One fits into the chamber and the other mounts in the bore. The chamber type is probably more accurate but not as versatile per $ spent for those of us with multiple calibers. I bought the bore mount kit. Hopefully I'll soon find out how well it works. 


No comments: