E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Sunday, December 20, 2020

Loading my Own

 I'm one of those weird people that actually enjoys loading my own ammo. Back around 1980 I purchased a RCBS single stage press and associated equipment to load 357 Mag ammo. Other than a 22lr rifle and 20ga for hunting, the 357 revolver was the only gun I owned. I justified the reloading gear based on saving money for ammo. I was wrong. I spent more time shooting instead. Decades late I'm still using the same gear.

I started as a small game hunter like my father, but guns became a hobby, and over the years I acquired several more. One of my favorite things is to find the right bullet, powder, velocity combination that is the most accurate in a particular weapon. Sitting at the loading bench is relaxing, whether building something new or assembling a tried and true combination.

The other day I said that I was good as far as ammo and components are concerned. While that is true, it bothers me that I only have 200 large pistol primers and can't find any more to go with the 500 45acp bullets.  That really shouldn't bother me sine I have 650 45acp cartridges loaded. When the inventory gets cut in half, I'll just have to shoot more 9mm, long guns and revolvers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to think reloading was a chore performed by grumpy old bastards that were too cheao to buy ammo. I had a second hand Lee Progressive 1000 for years before I finally made the leap. Boy... was I ever wrong!

I find reloading so interesting and enjoyable, that it is as much fun as actually pulling the trigger. I currently load .38 Special, .357 Magnum, 9mm, .45 ACP, .45 Long Colt, and 7.62x54r. That last one is a precision round for a specific rifle,, that shoots 0 MOA at 100 yards. 4 rounds through the same slightly enlarged hole last time out, timing the shot between heartbeats.

Rat Bastard said...

I've been reloading also since the early 80s in various rifle calibers. I tell the people that I work with there's 3 reasons to reload:
1. Can't afford the ammo (.338 Lapua Magnum at $6.50/round)
2. Can't find any ammo (look at the gun store shelves)
3. Can't find the ammo with the accuracy that I want (6.5 CM in a Ruger Precision Rifle)
and actually a forth reason: To Relax.