E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Thursday, August 8, 2019

Bees or Hornets?

Last Friday I went to the barn to clean stalls and hooves.  All 3 horses were in their stall munching hey, including our 2 mountain horses.  This is not a problem since both will move out of my way as I work.  The surprise was when I saw the Bosses horse.  He looked like this.

I called the Vets office and was told no one was immediately available to come.  As requested I e-mailed these pictures. I got an immediate return call recommending giving him 25 bennedril, and a vet will arrive at around 3:30.  At 3:30 the welts were noticeably reduced.  The vet theorized that he was attacked by a swarm of stinging insects, and felt this was not an allergic reaction, since his airway was not restricted.

He didn't act like there was anything really bothering him.  Horses are a lot tougher than we are, for sure.

So he got steroid IV and then 4 days of oral steroids.  The welts, even that huge one on his neck in the first picture, were all gone in 36 hours.

Maybe the Boss's physical ailments are contagious?

No comments: