E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Monday, December 24, 2018

Original 1911 Design

A friend/extended family member has an older ATI 1911 that he bought used.  He showed me how it chambered ball ammo without issue but wouldn't chamber flat nosed ammo when using the slide release. He was completely unaware that when the original was designed, only what we call ball ammo was available, so there was no loading ramp.  So even today if an original 1911 design is made, it's absent a loading ramp.

I ran into this issue several years ago with a couple of Llama 1911s I purchased.  I used a small grinding tool and carefully created a loading ramp in the frame and barrel.  They both still don't like some hollow points but they swallow most types of ammo.

I'm now in the process of grinding and polishing a loading ramp in his ATI.  It now feeds flat nose ammo without a problem.  I think it will load Hornady XTP hollow points as well.

Update 12/30
Made it to the range yesterday for actual fire testing.  As expected the flat nose and my reloads with Hornady XTP-HP fired and loaded without flaw. And also as expected the cheap swaged HP bullets don't feed hardly at all. 
What I didn't expect was that his factory loads printed a bit low at 25 yards while my 185 grain reloads printed to the sights, at least for me.

No comments: