E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Thursday, August 30, 2018

Sore Spot

I've had my little Rocky Mountain mare for 2 years.  What a great little trail horse.  Earlier this summer I noticed a small sore near her spine above her hip bone.  That spot roughly lines up with the back of the saddle skirt.

When I first got her I had a cheap western saddle that when used with a good pad worked for my other horse.  It didn't even come close to fitting the little Rocky, so I purchased an Australian saddle that was adjusted to fit her.  I also bought an Australian pad.  The pad was thin foam with wool cloth on both sides.  The saddle slid all over the place, partially due to my poor riding.

I replaced that pad with one that was also thin foam but with ribbed polymer next to the horse.  No more sliding around, but the sore spot appeared.  The 17 inch Australian is great for me but may be a bit long for my short backed horse.

I now have a wool felt pad that's 3/8 inch thick and has pockets for felt shims that will lift the saddle a bit off her back, or can be used to change the fit.  I don't know if the shims are needed.  The less compressible felt may lift the saddle enough to eliminate the sore.  I'll find out this weekend.

No comments: