E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Friday, July 6, 2018

Brutal Recoil

The back of the latest NRA rag has pictures of the Bond Bullpup and a 2 barreled 44 Mag.  The little auto-loader probably has a place in the concealed carry world, and some interest to me.  The derringer 44 not so much.

I have fired the Super Blackhawk and a Thompson Contender in 44Mag.  I didn't like either of them.  The recoil was stiff but not as bad as with my Super Redhawk 454.  The guns were the problem, not the cartridge.  Lighting off a 44 Mag in a derringer on the other hand would probably be brutal.  Although loading it up with 44 special cartridges, might be OK.

Speaking of the 44 special I see that Ruger is now chambering the GP100 in that old cartridge.  I find that tempting.  I now have a Charter Arms, and I like the cartridge better than the gun.  The Charter is nice and light for carry and reasonably accurate.  It's not a bad gun but not near as rugged as a Ruger.  The lightweight revolver, with thin grips, is such that I keep 240 grain bullets under 900 feet per second, or it's painful to shoot.  It still packs more punch than a 38 with 158 grain bullets, and not any harder on the hands in a lightweight revolver.


No comments: