E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Saturday, January 28, 2017

It's Back Home

As posted before, my lever action 454 came with traditional buckhorn sights.  For my old eyes, 50 yards and beyond is very iffy with those sights.  I considered installing a very large rear aperture and fiber optic front, but then settled on a red dot. 

I've become a fan of the red dot.  I have them on my 357, SKS, AR, and for a while on a 308 bolt action set up as a scout rifle.  I find them to be quicker than any iron sight and more accurate, at least for me.  On a long gun consistent hits on a 12 inch steel plate at 200 yards is routine from a standing position.

Nobody makes a mount for my Winchester clone except maybe to the side of the receiver, which I don't like, so I took it to a local machine shop.  They bought a rail blank and machined the bottom to fit the taper of the barrel.  So far I'm happy with the results, but I haven't made it to the range as yet.  I'd be very surprised if there is a problem because those guys make their own falling block rifles, from scratch as a hobby.  And shoot black powder cartridges in long range competition.



1 comment:

Rehinna said...

Extraordinary Article it its truly enlightening and creative update us as often as possible with new upgrades. its was truly important. much obliged. HOA Management Companies