E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Sunday, April 26, 2015

Toby , Rowan & Rooky Riders

I was on Toby and the Boss was on Rowan today for an hour or so.  And I totally forgot to get any pictures of Rowan.  Maybe next time.

Rowan behaved well except for trying to go back to the barn.  He knows where the good food is, for sure.  So the Boss rode him around in the round pen for a while, where he behaved admirably.

Toby was a different matter.  I can get him to stand, turn and stop. We did some sideways prancing at times while turning him, that made it hard for this rooky to stay seated.  I almost came off of him twice.  He just doesn't want to walk.  So I took him into the round pen, and we followed rowan around for a while, at a walk.  That helped.  While standing, if I put any pressure on the rein, and especially if I touch him with a heel, he skips first gear entirely and goes directly into some kind of gated trot.  I want him to start off at a walk and only go faster if asked.

Not to Self.  If a walking horse has been used in youth rodeo, he does not want to walk any more.

No comments: