E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Small Pistol Primers?

Because of the empty gunpowder shelves I found, checked my supply of primers last night.  In fairly good shape with all but small pistol primers.  I only have about 400 left, but I was planning to load 150 38 specials for my son and then a few hundred 9mm for me.  Guess I'll try using small pistol magnum primers for 1 or both.

I found 1 source of small pistol primers on the 'net, but with the hazardous shipping fee the end price would be $75 for 1,000 primers.  Yuck.  The magnum primers are much more available.

Adding  ....................

I've been strictly using Sierra 158 JHC bullets in the 357 because of accuracy and terminal performance deer hunting.  I also load the same bullet in 38 for my son, because that's what I have.  As it turns out, HS6 that I bought is listed with mag primers in the Sierra book so I don't need to play games with loading it.  Should still chronograph and fire for groups.

Using mag primers for 9mm is another issue entirely.

3 comments:

eriko said...

I would be interested in the results. I have a brick of those that I bought thinking I needed them for 357.

Trajectory said...

Been loading 357 for revolver deer hunting for years. Mag primers, AA#9 behind Sierra 158 JHC at about 1250f/s. Good from 20 to 120 yards, field proven.

Thought I'd try the Mags in the 38 special with reduced powder charge. The boy has an old SS Ten trooper revolver that's beefy enough to handle extra pressure.

eriko said...

Interesting and thanks.