E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Range Time

For the first time in months I managed to get to the range.  Half sized silhouette targets set at 25 and 50 yards for my enjoyment.  Right hand, left hand and 2 hands at 25 and then only 2 hands at 50 with my 1911, Hi-Power and 44 special.  The short range stuff wasn't that bad at all, but I was inconsistent (sucked) at 50.  Then I tried some 454 rounds at 100 yards.  Yep, more sucky.  Shooting is definitely a perishable skill, that I have once again proven that true.

I was decent at 200 with the SKS as long as I kept the sling snugged.  I had my AR with me but not the ammo.  Bummer.

Then a pleasant surprise.  I met an ex-coworker with a Garand chambered in 308.  I never fired a Garand before, and was impressed with it's soft recoil and heft.  Humping with one of those things must have been a nightmare.

I've been rolling my own ammo since the early 1980s.  In all that time, and thousands of rounds, I've only had one squib load and that was near the beginning.  Today I had my second, and in the Hi-Power.  There was enough energy to lodge the bullet barely into the rifling and cycle the action.  The next round would not chamber.  If the next would have chambered, a less experienced shooter might have been in trouble.  In my case I noticed the issue immediately, so no damage done to the gun or to me.

I tried some experimental 44 special rounds loaded with IMR 4227.  Not good at all.  Some cases had unburned powder left inside, and the volume was erratic.  I could probably try reducing the charge and going to a hotter primer, but that will be risky with a small framed revolver.  Besides, there are many other options. 

No comments: