E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Wonderful Evening

One of my co-workers is a certified NRA instructor in many disciplines and has also competed with pistol and long range rifle.  He no longer instructs nor competes.  Yesterday I met him at his house and 3 of us went to a private range.  The third being a young police officer.  The private range happened to be part of the facility of a top notch trainer, who not only trains civilians, but also police and other trainers.  So the 4 of us spent several hours having fun.

For me it was especially fun.  I very seldom get the chance to shoot where I can do anything other than stand in one place.  Working from a holster, multiple targets and moving while shooting all are things I've never had the opportunity to try before.  Well that's not quite true.  I worked from a holster and engaged multiple targets during the single IPSC shoot I attended a few years ago.  With a couple of minor suggestions, putting rounds on target while walking really isn't all that hard.

I cycled a few more rounds through my relatively new CZ 710 utility.  It's not quite broken in.  It cyles OK with 3 Dram Equiv behind 1 Oz of shot, but doesn't always have enough recoil to lock open on empty.  With 3 Dram Equiv behind 1-1/8 Oz of shot is more reliable and I can't tell the difference in recoil.

Only 1 of the 3 others had the stones to try my 454 Casull.  He was impressed.

The owner was carrying a $3,000 1911 (Wilson?) in 9mm.  Damn he was good with that thing.  When he offered, I jumped at the chance.  Wow, that thing is accurate and as smooth as silk.  The trigger wasn't all that light, but when I thought "shoot" it fired.  The felt recoil was so light I I was amazed.  After the first shot I stopped and just stared at it.

I didn't realize it until today, but I needed that.

No comments: