E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Friday, June 24, 2011

Weak Hand & 30 Carbine

Last Sunday I managed to sneak off to the range for a little more than an hour. Once again, to my surprise, I shot more accurately with my weak hand. I asked a shooting instructor I know about that and was told in slow fire that's not uncommon. He said we all tend to shoot just a little slower and with more concentration when using the weak hand. Next time I'll start working my way toward rapid fire.

Several years ago I got what I thought was a good deal for a Universal 30 Cal. carbine. What a disappointment. As it turns out the barrel steel is way too soft to withstand the pounding from the piston. I had a harder piece brazed into the contact point, but the joint didn't hold for more then about 5 magazines of punishment. I'll keep my eyes open for a new barrel, but I don't have much hope of getting anything that will fit this civilian action. Oh well, live and learn.

A friend of my son happens to own 3 carbines, all military. Son talked to him and it seems that I'll get a chance to buy one from him at a price much less than todays going rate. Time will tell.

No comments: