E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Friday, April 8, 2011

A Day at The Hospital

The Boss had her back surgery today. We got up this morning at 5:30 and arrived at the hospital 10 minutes early for our assigned check in time of 7:30. We were informed of this arrival time, and surgery at about 10:00, verbally from the Doc's office and by letter from the hospital. The woman behind the desk said that we were not supposed to be there until 10:00. I think I said something about scheduling incompetence, politely but firmly.

When the surgeon's PA met with us I again had something to say about their scheduling. This resulted in a bunch of hollow explanations and several apologies.

Anyway, she disappeared into the bowels of the hospital at around 11:30 and reappeared around 2:30. I was told it went well and the repairs are such that the problem should not return. He removed some bone from the lumbar area of the spine, trimmed several bulging disks, boney growths and soft tissue that were pressing onto the nerve bundle.

I sat in the hospital for 12 hours. When I left she had taken 2 doses of morphine and percoset before the pain was tolerable. I think she's somewhat immune to that stuff because it didn't even make her sleepy.

Anticipating that there would be no gun signs plastered on the doors, I didn't wear my usual 1911 45 or even the little Kahr PM9. I wore lose fitting jeans with the tiny Keltac 380 in a pocket holster in my front pocket. I was near hospital security several times, and if they noticed, I didn't notice any of them notice.

Yeah I violated local law, as illegal as that law may be. Why do hospitals always seem to be located in the bad part of towns?

No comments: