E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Saturday, December 4, 2010

357 Cruel to Animals ??

Yesterday I went out for lunch with a couple of the other engineers and the director of production. The other engineers are all process types and one that I work with regularly has a PHD. He's also from Finland.

He asked me about deer hunting here in Ohio. In particular he was very surprised that hunting with a hand gun is legal. In his home country only rifles are allowed and a marksmanship test is required to get a hunting license. In his mind a handgun is cruel to the animals.

I explained that a 357Mag is very capable of dispatching a deer just as quickly, and maybe quicker than the typical shotgun slug. I told him that I've taken many deer with my 357 at distances of 20-120 yards. As long as there is sufficient penetration, it's all about bullet placement, not bullet size or velocity. I'm not at all sure he was convinced.

No comments: