E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Thursday, November 25, 2010

357 to 44

The guy that repaired my Kimber told me about an interesting project he's working on. The customer has requested he convert a Ruger GP100 357 to 44 special. Due to frame size, it'll end up being a 5 shot. Being a fan of the old 44 cartridge, I hope to see the result.

I'm guessing the customer wants a medium framed carry gun with good stopping performance, controllable, and lacking the sharp muzzle blast. Sounds like a compact 1911 to me, but there are still some wheel gun carriers out there.

I happen to have a Charter Arms 44 special. I simply wanted a 44 special, and that's what I found. One of the most uncomfortable guns I've ever shot. Due to the thin grips and light weight, 240 grain bullets in the neighborhood of 650 f/s is about as much as I can stand.

1 comment:

Haji said...

.44 Special is an interesting cartridge, but it seems to be on the decline in popularity. I don't think it's going to go away anytime real soon, because big heavy bullets are big heavy bullets, and smaller and lighter will never be bigger and heavier. Still, there are enough advantages to the .45 ACP that I wonder how long the .44 Special has.

On the other hand, I only use revolvers in a couple narrow niches, so I'm probably not the target audience for the round anyway.

It'd be pretty cool to get a pic or two of the finished product, though.