E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Lock-Up

As of today we've been away for about a week. The last few days have been spent being generally lazy, with a few trips to the local flea markets and sitting around and staring into an open wood fire. We've had a good time visiting with relatives.

This morning was OK until we left the prison. When my sister moved to Florida in the 70s she married a man with custody of 2 children. My sister had 1, then together they had 1 more. My brother-in-law's son, from the previous marriage, has spent 23 years of his 40 years of life in prison. He was sentenced to 25 years to life for his part in the killing of an elderly man. He seemed to have genuinely changed, claiming, and putting on a good show about having found religion. Can he be a changed person? Is it possible for someone that messed up? I don't know. He appears to be different and trying to turn his life around, or is it a big con-game? If he ever gets out, we'll see.

The Boss, a better person than I could ever be, has been sharing letters with him for a few years. We are here so she had to go see him. I've never visited someone in jail before today. It's an experience I can't quite describe. When we left I felt very sad for him. My eyes misted heavily, but I also know he should, and is paying for a terrible act.

But for the grace of God, and a wonderful woman, I could've been him.

No comments: