E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Sunday, October 11, 2009

At The Range

My guest at the range today brought an 8mm Mauser that had been sporterized by his grandfather. It sported an old Bushnell 4X, OD turned barrel and decent sporter stock. He had never shot it before today.

We started by trying to adjust zero for 100 yards, but ran into a really big problem. The old MilSurp ammo I brought was hitting all over the place. The group size was in the neighborhood of 12 inches. At first I thought the scope was bad but some Remmington 170 grain loads printed inside of 2".

That's the first time I've seen MilSurp ammo shoot that bad in an old military weapon. It took me by complete surprise. That stuff shoots great in my Mauser.

Today was full of first times for my guest. He shot an Ishapore (shortened and sporterized), Nagant (M44), 1911 .45acp, Kahr 9mm, .357Mag and Browning .22. He liked the 1911 well enough, but fell in love with my Buckmark .22.

No comments: