E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Job Search

In my neck of the woods there seems to be little need for a mechanical engineer. This isn't very surprising since manufacturing as been hitting the skids around here for quite a while. Now if I was an EE or IT guy I could find a job tomorrow.

I applied on-line for a couple of positions the other day, and got a surprising reply from the HR person. Usually if there's nothing doing I hear nothing, but not this one time. I got a reply saying that I looked to be a perfect match for the position that was just filled. Timing is everything. I was also given a link to a site to help my job search. That was nice.

About 2 days after hearing that our facility will close at the end of the year I applied for an open position that I didn't think quite fit my experience level. What the heck. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. The very next day I was contacted to set up a phone interview. Two days after the phone interview I was invited for a first round of face to face interviews, that will happen this week. Maybe I fit their needs better than I initially thought.

The ideal situation would be to have a job lined up now that will start in February. That way I could finish some projects and get a bonus for staying where I am until the shut down and get a month off work to boot. Not very likely. If they want me, the pay is fair, and I feel comfortable with the place, then I'll start whenever they want.

No comments: