E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Been Busy

Been a bit busy since returning from vacation (Alaska) so there hasn't been much time to complain about the government or consider much in the way of gunnie talk.

Last week I was informed that my place of employment is closing the doors. We're a small company that builds rotary encoders used for position and speed sensing. We're owned by a much larger company in Germany. The big corporate daddy has decided to combine us with a larger operation in Minnesota. I'm assuming this decision has nothing to do with performance, since we're the only one of many small companies that didn't lose money last year, on line to make a profit this year and have customer commitments to double our production output starting in January. So for doing a good job, they're closing the doors, eliminating 38 positions.

To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. I started as the only mechanical engineer and was promoted to engineering supervisor 1 year later. I've been supervising 3 electrical engineers and 1 programmer. I really like working there, only 4 miles from home, and had hoped it would last another ten years. So now I'm looking for employment in an area with about 13% unemployment, and businesses falling like flies.

Last night I found a posted job opening that's located slightly more than an hours drive from home that I might fit. I did the on-line application thing, and to my surprise got a phone message today about scheduling a phone interview. Huh! That was quick.

At my age and experience level jobs are had to find. Seems that most aren't interested in a generalist mechanical engineer with 30+ years of varied experience.

No comments: