E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Monday, June 8, 2009

Range Time

I managed to get to the range yesterday for a few hours.

I sighted in the red dot on the Ishapore carbine and managed to shoot a 1-1/2" group with it using Mil ammo. I must have been holding my tongue just right.

The AR with it's HoloSight produced 1" group with PPU 5.56X45 and 2" with both Rem 223 and Am Eagle tactical 5.56X45. All were with 55 grain bullets. It's presently zeroed for the PPU. The Rem impacted about 3/4" to one side and the Am Eagle about 3/4" to the other side. I'm going to do some more experimentation with the flash hider position and measure group sizes and point of impact. Maybe I'll be lucky enough to find a spot where impact doesn't change and still produces acceptable accuracy.

I'm also going to start reloading for the AR. I'd like to develop a load that matches factory ammo that's available. Right now I'm seeing more Rem 55 grain ammo than anything else.

Shot some more loads through the 4" 44 Bulldog. 210 grain bullets at about 820f/s seems to be about the maximum recoil I'm comfortable with in that light weight revolver. Next time I'll probably run some 240 grain bullets and see how that feels.

The experimentation with different loads in the two 9mm pistols worked out as expected, but not as I hoped. The PM9 seems to like 147 grain lead at 800f/s (PM9) or 125 grain Sierra bullets at 900f/s (PM9). The velocity was about 100f/s faster in the HiPower and it doesn't like either one of those. It still likes 115 grain Hornady at 1160f/s. All shooting was off-hand at 25 yards, and I don't consider the PM9 to be broken in as yet, nor am I entirely at ease with the long trigger stroke.

For the time being I think I'll stay with the 147 grain lead in the PM9 as practice loads. I have a box of 500 that were given to me. I'll carry it with the 125 grain Sierra HP. At 25 yards the impact point is about the same. Later on I'll experiment some more.

No comments: