E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Sunday, May 17, 2009

At The Range

I ran about 75 through the Kahr PM9 and 60 through the Keltac P3AT this afternoon at the 25 yard range. Both functioned flawlessly. Unfortunately the guy holding them didn't.

The diminutive P3AT is not intended to be a 25 yard gun, but if I concentrated I could keep about half the shots on a 1/2 sized silouettte target shooting 2 handed. I shoot the Walther PPK and Llama MicroMax a bunch better than that. Neither one are as small nor as light.

I expected to do better with the PM9, and did, but just barely. The ammo was developed for my Hi-Power and shot low. A heavier bullet moving slower may work better in this gun. Load development is going to wait for a time because small pistol primers are very hard to find.

I fired both pistols 2 handed, strong and weak hand. My accuracy was good enough, all 3 ways, for defensive purposes inside 15 yards but not near what I typically do with any of my 1911s.

I'm sure I'll get better with practice because all my pistol shooting has been single action for decades. It'll take me a while to get used to the long trigger pull required of these pistols. At least I think I'll eventually get accustomed to it, though the long stroke is not conducive to good marksmanship. I know that Glocks and the other plastic wonders that have followed are all the rage, but I just don't like them. If it wasn't for their concealed carry advantages, I wouldn't own a pistol with a long trigger stroke.

When moving to the long gun area I was surprised to see the target holders missing. They've been reworking the hill and didn't have them back up yet. Consiquently I didn't get to do any more experimentation with the AR nor get the red dot on the Ishapore carbine sighted in.

I did manage to get the Ishapore adjusted fairly close by shooting at 8" steel plates at 200 yards. I was only able to hit one about 20% of the time. I don't know if that's because of the inaccuracy of the rifle (it's not very accurate), the guy squeezing the trigger, or the lack of proper sight adjustment.

Now that the AR has a spacer behind the flash hider I wanted to check the accuracy with a couple of different brands of ammo. That didn't happen because of the target situation and lack of time. I fired 10 rounds from the standing position using the HoloSite. Seven of the 10 hit the 8" steel plate at 200 yards. That made me feel pretty good, but next time I'll bring my target stand just in case.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm a big fan of the little PM9, which is my wife's gun.

It can shoot pretty well for what it is. Even being able to hit a silouette at 25 yards with a 3" barrel is all you can ask of it.

I want one of the Kel Tecs, but figure I'll wait til the ammo is available.