E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

2 Guns 2 Loads

One of the surprising things about hand gun shooting is the apparent contradictory facts about bullet speed and weight. When using light fast bullets, a hand gun will shoot lower than with slower heavier bullets. Unless the shooter has arms like legs and maintains a death grip, I've seen this happen over and over.

The opposite is generally true with rifles.

I surmise the reason to be that the faster movers exit the barrel earlier in the motion of recoil. Up until I recently acquired the little PM9, my only 9mm hand gun has been a HiPower. The best grouping load I found for it in those earlier years was a 115 grain at about 1100 feet per second. Those always printed a tad high for me, but after a little while I automatically compensate for it. Installing a tall front sight and adjustable rear didn't solve the problem.

Shooting the PM9 for the first time I used the same ammo that I load for the HiPower, but unfortunately this one shoots low. I just loaded up a few rounds using 125 grainers to experiment with in the PM9. A heavier bullet running slower should bring the impact point up closer to the sights. When I find a bullet/powder/velocity combination that I'm satisfied with that'll be my load for practice and carry in the PM9.

I hope it'll be OK in the HiPower as well, but if history is a good teacher it'll shoot even higher. I might end up with a different 9mm load for each of my 9mm's. That would kinda suck.

No comments: