E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Short & Cold Range Time

I renewed my membership at the range for another year and did a little, very little shooting while there. With temperatures in the low teens and occasional slow blowing under the roof, I didn't stay but 2 hours.

The SuperBlackhawk .44 Mag did real well. Heh, what would you expect from a factory rebuilt gun? I hadn't shot a single action handgun in a while so it reminded me why I prefer double action revolvers. The grip is smaller at the top than the bottom and has a shape that doesn't fit my hand all that well. The shape of the grip causes the thing to slip down the hand under recoil so I had to re-grip it with every shot. Despite that, or maybe because of that, it was pleasant to shoot. I didn't shoot it off a rest for groups, but it seemed accurate enough at 50 and 75 yards.

I also shot about 1/2 a box each through my .357 and .454 at the same range. Most of my handgun shooting, what little I've been able to do, has been with defensive weapons from 7 to 50 yards with something other than pinpoint accuracy in mind. I'm a bit out of practice with my hunting revolvers, and my shooting showed it.

Also ran about 20 rounds each through the AR and .30 carbine. The AR is a joy to shoot, and it looks like I finally got the .30 fixed.

1 comment:

Haji said...

"The shape of the grip causes the thing to slip down the hand under recoil so I had to re-grip it with every shot. Despite that, or maybe because of that, it was pleasant to shoot."

In fact, it is because of that characteristic that it's pleasant to shoot. If you go with rubber grips, you'll have less re-gripping to do. You'll also pretty much ruin the aesthetics. lol! .44 Magnum double action revolvers can be downright painful, since the grip doesn't roll in the hand.