E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Universal 30 Cal Carbine

About 18 months ago I bought a Universal 30 cal carbine for what I thought was a really nice price.



After maybe 35 or forty rounds I noticed that the bolt wasn't closing like it should. After returning home I removed the wood and this is what I saw.



The piston stop was gouged by the piston displacing metal up and interfering with the movement of the weight.

Here's a closer look with the weight out of the way.




Obviously the metal is too soft to withstand the pounding from the piston.

I had a guy add some weld to the area because weld metal is usually pretty tough. That was only slightly better than before, so I silver soldered a piece of tool steel in the area after having the soft stuff machined away. My personal skills at soldering are not the best because it let loose after only a few rounds.

That same piece of steel has now been soldered in place by a professional as seen below.



So far all the work hasn't cost me a penny because ( BS alert ) I'm such a nice person who knows other nice people. Actually I just happen to know nice people. In any case my next trip to the range will include some test firing of the 30 carbine.

Take my advice. Unless you enjoy dinking with the hardware, avoid Universal carbines.

No comments: