E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Saturday, December 13, 2008

Gun Show

An acquaintance, the latest husband of the adopted grandkids mother, presently doesn't own any guns but he has in the past. He expressed interest in having a shotgun, lever action 30-30, a handgun for the house and one to carry. He wasn't aware of what's available these days nor the cost so I took him to a gun show today. He had interest in a Taurus .357 Mag or Judge for the house and a Keltec 9mm for carry. I guess I can't argue much about his choices since handguns, especially for concealed carry are very personal, though I would've picked a Kahr over the Keltec mostly because the Kahr PM9 has a trigger reach that fits me a bit better. It'll be a while before he buys anything because their finances are very tight.

While there I took care of the Bosses complaint about not having enough ammo in the house. I bought another 400 rounds of .223 for the AR and 700 rounds of 7.62x39. Yeah I paid a little more than in the past, but felt lucky to find any at all. And as a bonus I bought 2 additional magazines for the AR and 1 for the CETME. So I now have 4-5 mags for each battle rifle and 500 - 1,000 rounds each for them as well.

1 comment:

Haji said...

Friends don't let friends buy Kel Tecs. They fit a niche, but not the one he's looking for. They're attractively priced, but they're straight blow back pistols that aren't especially durable or easy to shoot. He'd be much better served by a Glock 19, or if CCW isn't going to be on the menu, a 17 for the house. The Judge isn't nearly as cool as it appears at first blush; the .410 is an underpowered shotshell, and because the chambers are very long, the .45 Colt rounds have a long jump to the forcing cone, which means accuracy is pretty poor compared to better choices.

All the guns he's interested in can be had easily on the secondary market; that'll save some money on the front end.