E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Short Throw is Way Better

So this morning I met the ex-coworker at the range. It became immediately apparent that he had some familiarity with handguns, but was definitely a beginner. After the first magazine through his new Glock I gave a few pointers and retreated to my own lane to work on my weak hand only shooting.

After about 30 minutes, and a couple more pointers he started getting a little better, so I let him try a few through my 3" 1911 carry piece. I wasn't surprised to see him shooting significantly better with my gun, a pistol that he knew absolutely nothing about. In fact he never held one before. Once again there's evidence that a short trigger movement is superior for marksmanship.

It's been said that one of the hardest pistols to master is shooting a snub double action. In my opinion, any of the long trigger stroke, striker fired pistols are just about as difficult. I had thought it was just me, because I grew up shooting single action. Years of evidence tells me that it's not just me. It's universal.

I suggested he try some dry fire practice at home to improve his trigger and site picture control.

Apparently the practice is paying dividends because my weak hand only was just as good as my strong hand only shooting today. Naturally 2 handed is the way to go.

No comments: