E-MAIL: trajectory1780@gmail.com

Monday, July 20, 2009

Plated Bullets Continued

The plated bullets measure 0.451 just like the Hornady XTP that I've been shooting for a few years.

Without inside diameter sizing I can push many of the plated bullets deep in the case with my thumb. I can't do that with the Hornady XTP or Sierra jacket hollow points.

The inside diameter die is basically doing nothing. I can easily slide the case over it by hand with minimal resistance. I can't get my calipers or micrometers in there to measure that diameter.

The sizer/decapper die creates cases at 0.470 to 0.471 outside diameter at the mid-point. My eldest son has one that re-sizes to 0.466.

It appears I'm just not getting as much squeeze on the plated bullets as the jacketed bullets. I'm assuming that's because the plated bullets are softer than the jacketed bullets. If that's the case then the plated bullets should be 0.452 diameter like a lot of the cast bullets available.

Another possibility is that the sizer/decapper is over sized. I sent an enquiry to Hornady asking if mine is within their specifications. A while back I got a 7mm Mauser sizer replaced, for free, because it was a little over sized.

I also have some plated 9mm bullets. I cycled some of those reloads through the Kahr PM9 and the HiPower without any noticeable set back. That tends to make me believe my 45acp die is over sized.

Until I hear from Hornady, or run across some cast bullets in smaller quantities than 500, I'll just keep shooting the more expensive .45 projectiles.

No comments: